Although the Biblical proverb says, “Physician, heal thyself,” many physicians, nurses and other medical professionals are still reluctant to seek one-on-one counseling with a counselor or psychiatrist when it would be highly beneficial to them. They are often in dire need of a sympathetic ear when it comes to understanding the magnitude of the daily trials they can face both at work and at home.
While some medical professionals prefer that a peer provide that support, some also can benefit by the use of an EAP. In addition to confidential support services designed specifically to help physicians deal with the stress of their profession, an EAP can provide a menu of convenient, time-saving work and life services designed to reduce the stress in their lives, as well as that of their families.
EAP counseling services address the barriers that typically prevent medical professionals from getting the help they need, such as lack of time, fear of stigma or loss of privileges or cost of treatment. And an EAP can help physicians and their families identify and resolve issues such as:
- Depression, stress and anxiety
- Chemical dependency and addictions
- Marital and relationship issues at home and at work
- Grief and loss
- Workplace conflict
- Financial and legal issues
The confidential EAP services we provide to medical professionals and their families include:
- Convenient counseling by phone or in person
- Immediate access to services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Referrals to specialized professionals, if necessary
- Legal and financial assessment and referral
Work & Life Resources
When medical professionals feel good—physically, mentally and emotionally—their performance and productivity naturally improve. Patient confidence, satisfaction and retention go up. Staff morale increases.
Unfortunately, between the daily stress of a medical practice, emergencies and the demands of family life, these professionals often reach peak stress levels that can wreak havoc with their physical and emotional wellbeing. Our EAP is designed to reduce that stress.
Accessed through our member portal, medical professionals and their families can easily discover valuable work and life information online — with more than 20,000 articles and resources including self-search locators, online resources, financial calculators and other tools. We provide instant access to information on:
- Parenting: Information on adoption, parenting and childcare, child development, wellness and more.
- Aging: Topics on aging well and planning for the future to eldercare and dealing with grief and loss.
- Living: Articles ranging from consumer choices and legal and finance help to pet care, home improvement and more.
- Life Balance: Gives information and resources related to every aspect of personal growth, relationships and emotional wellbeing.
- Health and Wellness: Provides a wide variety of articles and resources.
- Legal: Resources including an online legal encyclopedia and helpful legal forms.
- Working: Articles on career and workplace issues, as well as resource links.